Barak allows Muslim digging on Temple Mount
to continue, sparking protests
JERUSALEM (AP) --
Prime Minister Ehud Barak gave Palestinian religious authorities the go-ahead
Wednesday to continue expanding prayer accommodations at one of the most
sensitive sites in Jerusalem, prompting protests from politicians and
archaeologists.
Work would
continue at the site known as the Temple Mount to Jews and Christians and the
Haram as-Sharif to Muslims, Barak's office said in a statement, with measures
in place "maintaining the status-quo and not damaging archaeological
artifacts."
That prompted
expressions of outrage from politicians and archaeologists, who say that the
expansion is destroying rare Jewish and Islamic relics at the site.
"Barak gave
a green light to an explosive situation," said Eilat Mazar, an archeology
professor at Hebrew University who has worked on the Temple Mount.
The Temple Mount
is the site of the First and Second Jewish temples, and abuts the Western Wall
-- the only remainder of the Roman sacking of the Second Temple in 70 A.D., and
Judaism's holiest site.
Two of the
mosques in the 13-century old Muslim sanctuary atop the mount are collectively
considered the third holiest site in Islam. The site has remained under Muslim
control even after Israel captured the walled Old City in the 1967 Mideast War.
The Wakf -- the
Islamic religious council that administers the site -- has recently launched
expansion projects, saying that the site can barely accommodate the thousands
who now arrive for Friday prayers.
When news of the
construction work first emerged earlier this year, archaeologists identified
rare and ancient shards in a dump outside Jerusalem where workers had left
debris.
Wakf officials
have said that the protests are a political attempt to undermine the Muslim
claim to the site.
Jerusalem Mayor
Ehud Olmert, a leader of the hard-line opposition Likud party, said his
opposition did not stem from political considerations, but from his concern
that important historical artifacts could be lost forever.
"This
protest is not a result of political interests, but an expression of deep
anxiety about what is happening there," Olmert said.
Olmert said it
was the Wakf promoting a political agenda, wiping Jewish traces from the area
so that Israel can no longer claim it has ties. He described Barak's decision
as a "big mistake," and said Israeli police could stop the work by
blocking the trucks from entering the Old City's narrow roads.
Danny Yatom, a
senior Barak adviser, said the presence of archaeologists would guarantee the
preservation of antiquities. "The decision is excellent," Yatom said.
"It allows us to safeguard the status quo." He refused to elaborate
on other measures that would safeguard the site.
Tensions over the
rival religious claims have in the past sparked bloody riots, notably in 1929
and in 1990. On Wednesday, Palestinians clashed with a small group of hard-line
Jews protesting digging on the mount. Police spokesman Shmuel Ben-Ruby said
that five Palestinians were detained following the clash.
Some hard-line
Jews want the government to reverse the status quo, and allow a Jewish
religious presence on the mount.
Chief Rabbi
Eliyahu Bakshi-Doron appealed to both sides not to change the status quo,
fearing that this could inflame tensions and harm the peace process.
In a letter
written to a gathering of Mideastern religious leaders in Italy last weekend,
Bakshi-Doron wrote: "We must preserve and respect the current status and
sanctity of the holy Temple Mount. We must be wary of every change in its
status, for it could desecrate the sanctity of the place and lead to ...
bloodshed."
Bakshi-Doron's aid,
Rafi Dayan, told The Associated Press that the rabbi believes the religious
areas should be under the jurisdiction of an interfaith council with
representatives from the Muslim, Christian and Jewish communities.